Music as the motor - the career of the festival director Claude Nobs

(E, F)

There was no doubt - the boy would never make a good baker. Getting up very early in the morning was not one of his strengths, and he also didn't particularly stand out at school through his eagerness to learn. His father, Henri Nobs, a hard-working baker with his own business, presented him with an ultimatum shortly after his 17th birthday: either find an apprenticeship or move out of his parent's house. Not knowing quite what to do, Claude Nobs decided on a job as a chef. There was not much trace of a culinary challenge in the station buffet in Spiez, and so he ended up in the restaurant of the renowned Hotel Schweizerhof in Basle. Here, the young man from Vaud learned how to handle kitchen utensils like a virtuoso, but also had to brush up his Swiss-German, despite his mother coming from Zurich and his father from Bern. In the evenings after work, he regularly listened to the radio programme "Pour ceux qui aiment le jazz" (For those who love jazz) on Europe 1. The comments of the presenters Frank Tenot and Daniel Filipacchi regarding the current blues, jazz and rhythm & blues scene served as a real music school for the young man, and the programmes introduced him to Ray Charles, John Coltrane and Joe Turner for the first time.

Two and a half years later, Nobs concluded his apprenticeship with the award for the best young chef of his year. He took a job in the Congress Centre in Zurich, where he would smuggle himself into the backstage of the concert hall after his long working day, with his chef's apron still around his waist. From there, he was able to listen to Duke Ellington, Count Basie or Ella Fitzgerald, the great musicians that he had already discovered in his childhood – thanks to the gramophone records of his father, who had bought them at the kilogram price. He was already marking his favourite records with stars when he was only six years old. Without exception, the most stars were given to jazz albums. With his savings, the 20-year old Claude Nobs returned to Frenchspeaking Switzerland and started a training course at the Hotelfachschule (Hotel Management College) in Lausanne. To improve his knowledge of finance, he then worked in a bank, while also working in his spare time to build up the local boy scouts organisation. Raymond Jaussi, the then director of the Montreux Tourist Office, became aware of this ambitious young man, and offered him a job promoting tourism. Claude Nobs initially opted for the office in Paris, but soon returned to Montreux, taking over the post of accountant. But Jaussi had other plans for him, however, having noticed his pronounced perseverance and innovative spirit early on. Fascinated by the latest communication medium, television, and working together with the Director of Swiss Television, Marcel Besançon, and the Programme Director Edmond Haas, Claude Nobs’ mentor decided to produce a Europe-wide TV programme for the first time. As a result, the "Fête de Narcisses" (Daffodil festival) flickered over TV screens in a total of 8 countries in 1954. And that was just the beginning: in 1961, the international award ceremony of the emerging audio-visual Industry took place for the first time in Montreux, under the name "Montreux Television Symposium and Rose d’Or". The ceremony was accompanied by an entertainment programme, and, of course, accountant Claude Nobs became involved, having already organised several very successful blues concerts as a sideline. In 1964, Nobs drove to the airport in his old banger to pick up the evening's performers, a group of young men who called themselves "The Rolling Stones", and who were appearing outside England for the first time. The concert that evening, which also starred Petula Clark, was co-produced with the ITV Network, and was transmitted live. Claude Nobs was rid of his post as accountant soon after, and concentrated on the various events in Montreux from now on.

Nobs stepped into an aeroplane for the first time in 1965. Raymond Jaussi had commissioned him to take a closer look at the luxury hotel business in New York. With the contacts that he had made through the organisation of blues concerts, Claude Nobs met up with the musician Willie Dixon, who accompanied the Swiss to all the best jazz clubs in the city, where he often enjoyed the infectious concerts as the only white guy among the audience. One day, Nobs spontaneously decided to visit his favourite record label, Atlantic Records. He reported to the Reception at Atlantic Records and asked to see the Ertegun Brothers, whose name he had noticed on the record covers. "No appointment, no chance", replied the secretary. But Claude Nobs insisted, using the argument that he has specially travelled there from Switzerland. This was obviously a good argument, because he was received shortly afterwards by Neshui Ertegun. "Grüezi!" What a surprise when the American with Turkish roots greeted the dumbfounded Claude Nobs in Swiss German! As the son of the Turkish ambassador, Neshui and his family had spent several years in the Swiss capital. Ertegun also reacted with enthusiasm to the idea of founding a music festival in Montreux, and promised Nobs his full support. This was the start of a great friendship, and a decisive moment in the history of the Festival.

In 1967, the first Montreux Jazz Festival started with a modest budget of almost 10,000 Swiss Francs and concerts by Charles Lloyd and Keith Jarrett. Thanks to a media partnership with Swiss Radio, the concerts were recorded and created a lots of news reports. The festival was a great success. Claude Nobs continued to organise concerts for the Rose d’Or in parallel, as well as other events in Montreux. In 1968, he even had the musical "Hair", including the set, performers and technicians, flown in from London to Montreux for the TV award ceremony. In the same year, Bill Evans recorded his live album at the festival, which was later crowned with a Grammy and whose cover showed the Castle of Chillon. There was a fierce reaction from the purists when Nobs engaged the first rock group "Ten Years After" in the following year, and this opening-up of the festival was not appreciated. At the festival Itself, Eddie Harris and Les McCann delivered what was in effect a musical commentary on the debacle over the music categories: "Compared to What". In only six months the live recording under the title "Swiss Movements" became the most commercially successful jazz album ever. Claude Nobs soon began organising concerts every month, with artists such as Pink Floyd, Chicago or Santana, and Montreux became the Olympus for the latest pop music. During a Frank Zappa, concert in 1971, however, an over enthusiastic fan set off a firework that then lodged in ceiling and set the building on fire. All the concert-goers and the kitchen workers in the basement were fortunately evacuated from the building in good time. But the Montreux Casino was burned down to the foundations, leaving only a black cloud of smoke that slowly spread over the lake. The concert-goers included some members of Deep Purple, who wanted to record their latest album in the mobile recording studio. This was also a victim of the flames, however, and the hard rockers had to find accommodation in the Grand Hotel in Territet. Inspired by the tremendous fire, they composed "Smoke on the Water", in which they described the destructive fire and "funky Claude's" rescue operation. A year later, the song climbed hit parades all around the world and perpetuated itself as one of the greatest rock hits of all time.

In 1973, Claude Nobs was appointed Director of the WEA, which combined the Warner, Elektra and Atlantic labels. He met Miles Davis at the Newport Jazz Festival in the same year, and invited him to Montreux. The musical diversity remained a thorn in the eye of many purists, however, and Nobs decided to change the name to the "Montreux International Festival" in the middle of the 70s. The public continued to refer to it as "le Montreux Jazz", however, and jazz was therefore emblazoned on the poster once again in 1978. As a great fan of Latin-American music, Claude Nobs Initiated the collaboration with the Festival in Sao Paulo, which, among others, brought the Bossa Nova and the Samba to Montreux with Gilberto Gil. Brazilian music became established at the festival, and some became a reference in its distant homeland. Numerous collaborations with other international festivals followed: Atlanta, Detroit, Tokyo or Monaco. The Swiss artist Jean Tinguely designed the festival poster in 1982, thereby providing the festival with its distinctive logo. Other well-known artists have also created the festival poster: Keith Haring, Andy Warhol, Niki de la Saint Phalle, Toni Ungerer, Julien Opie, John Armleder and David Bowie, as well as Phil Collins. At the end of the 80's, Claude Nobs met the young Frenchman Thierry Amsallem, and they fell in love. 20 years later, they officially registered their partnership. Amsallem manages the Montreux Sounds Company, which administers the festival archives and, thanks to a digitisation project initiated in 2008, will preserve these in their entirety for coming generations. Two important events marked the history of the festival in 1991: the co-production with Quincy Jones and the first concert recordings on High Definition, more than 20 years before the digital format began to appear in almost every household. The festival has always been ahead of its time technically, and, as a first, concerts were filmed in 3D in 2010 and in 4K in 2012.

The festival became increasingly popular during the 90s, and broke all records in 1999 with more than 220,000 visitors. In the same year, Claude Nobs stepped up the educational commitment of the festivals and founded the Piano Solo Competition, which soon attracted international attention. Today, the "Montreux Jazz Artists Foundation“ continues to work In this spirit by organising workshops and music competitions, promoting cultural exchange and promoting performances for children and young people. After the festival moved into the newly built Congress Centre in 1993, concerts were again programmed for the Casino from 2001 up to 2006. Claude Nobs also paid tribute to the Ertegun Brothers with two tribute concerts on the 40th anniversary of the festival. He has received numerous prizes and honours for his own career, including being named as a "European Hero" of the Time Magazine in 2004, a Doctor Honoris Causa from the Federal Polytechnic in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2006, and, as the first European ever, the "Downbeat Lifetime Award" for his achievements in the field of jazz. The French Order of "Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres" also followed in 2007. Once Claude Nobs retired from the daily business at Warner Switzerland in 2001, he was able to concentrate on the festival. He delegated the operational management in 2010 and, from then on, from his chalet, concentrated on the special projects and concerts, which are particularly close to his heart. In his leisure time, he likes to enjoy nature accompanied by his St. Bernard dog and cooking good food for musicians and friends. With apparent great ease, he always seems to succeed in combining the strong attachment to his home town with his undiminished zest for life and his international network. It's therefore hardly surprising that his hospitality has become well known. And as long as he can continue to welcome his guests with open arms year after year, that's exactly what Claude Nobs, a music lover to his very roots, will do.

This spirit remains at the heart of the Festival, despite the death on January 10, 2013 of Claude Nobs, in its 77th year.


M. Laurent Wehrli, Mayor of Montreux. Official annoucement - Montreux Palace 2013. Creation of the Avenue Claude Nobs in Montreux.


La musique pour moteur. La carrière de Claude Nobs, fondateur du Montreux Jazz Festival. (F, E)

Ce garçon n’était pas fait pour devenir boulanger, ça ne fait aucun doute. Se lever aux aurores n’était pas son fort et il n’était pas un écolier particulièrement zélé. Ainsi, peu après son 17ème anniversaire, Henri Nobs, père de Claude et boulanger expérimenté gérant son propre commerce, lui posa un ultimatum : soit il choisissait un apprentissage, soit il quittait le domicile familial. Désarmé, Claude Nobs se décida pour une place de cuisinier.

Le Buffet de la gare de Spiez ne présentant aucun défi culinairement parlant, le Vaudois opta pour le célèbre restaurant de l’Hôtel Schweizerhof à Bâle, où il se familiarisa avec la maîtrise parfaite des ustensiles de cuisine. De plus, bien qu’ayant grandi entre une mère zurichoise et un père bernois, il avait grand besoin de rafraîchir son suisse allemand.

Tous les soirs en rentrant du travail, il prit l’habitude d’écouter l’émission de radio : « Pour ceux qui aiment le jazz » sur Europe 1. Les commentaires des animateurs Frank Tenot et Daniel Filipacchi à propos du Blues, du Jazz et du Rhythm & Blues furent pour Claude Nobs une véritable école de musique. C’est d’ailleurs par cette émission qu’il apprit à mieux connaître Ray Charles, John Coltrane ou encore Joe Turner.

Deux ans et demi plus tard, il termina son apprentissage et reçut la distinction de meilleur jeune cuisinier de sa volée. Il commença ensuite à travailler au Centre des Congrès de Zurich où, entre deux plats, il se faufilait dans les coulisses de la salle de concert encore vêtu de son tablier. De là, son oreille indiscrète écoutait Duke Ellington, Count Basie ou Ella Fitzgerald, ces artistes géniaux qu’il avait découvert enfant grâce aux disques que son père achetait au kilo. A six ans déjà, il attribuait des étoiles à ses vinyles préférés et les albums de jazz se révélaient sans conteste les plus étoilés.

A vingt ans, ses économies en poche, Claude Nobs regagna la Suisse romande et commença une formation à l’Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne. Désireux d’approfondir ses connaissances dans la finance, il travailla ensuite dans une banque et durant son temps libre s’investit dans la création de la section locale des scouts.

Raymond Jaussi, à l’époque directeur de l’Office du Tourisme de Montreux, remarqua ce jeune homme travailleur et lui proposa un emploi dans le développement touristique. Claude Nobs se décida pour l’agence de Paris mais revint peu de temps après à Montreux pour reprendre le poste de comptable. Raymond Jaussi nourrissait cependant d’autres projets pour Claude Nobs, dont il avait très tôt reconnu la capacité à s’imposer et l’esprit novateur. Fasciné qu’il était par un tout nouveau média, la télévision, le mentor de Claude Nobs décida, en coopération avec le directeur de la télévision suisse Marcel Besançon et le directeur des programmes Edmond Haas, de produire la première retransmission d’une émission télévisée à l’échelle européenne. C’est ainsi qu’en 1954, la « Fête des Narcisses » fut diffusée sur les écrans de télévision de huit pays. Et ce n’était qu’un début : en 1961 se tint pour la première fois à Montreux la remise internationale des prix du secteur audiovisuel, alors en plein essor, baptisée « Montreux Television Symposium and Rose d’Or ». La cérémonie était conçue comme un véritable programme de divertissement et Claude Nobs était évidemment présent, lui qui avait déjà organisé plusieurs concerts de blues très réussis.

En 1964, Claude se rendit à l’aéroport au volant de sa vieille voiture pétaradante pour chercher les artistes de la soirée qu’il organisait, des jeunes gars qui se faisaient appeler « The Rolling Stones » et qui se produisaient, ce soir-là, pour la première fois hors de leur Angleterre natale. Cette soirée de concerts, comptant avec la présence de Petula Clark, était coproduite avec ITV Network et retransmise en direct. Peu de temps après, Claude Nobs quitta son poste de comptable pour se consacrer pleinement aux différents événements organisés à Montreux.

En 1965, Claude prit l’avion pour la première fois dans le cadre d’une mission confiée par Raymond Jaussi consistant à examiner de plus près l’hôtellerie de luxe de New York. Grâce aux contacts qu’il avait noués lors de l’organisation des concerts de blues, il atterrit chez le musicien Willie Dixon. Ce dernier l’accompagna dans les meilleurs clubs de jazz de la ville où le Suisse se retrouva souvent le seul blanc parmi le public. Lors de ce séjour américain, Claude décida spontanément de frapper à la porte de son label préféré, Atlantic Records. Il se présenta à la réception et demanda à voir les frères Ertegun, dont il avait remarqué le nom sur les couvertures des disques. La secrétaire lui fit comprendre que, sans rendez-vous, il n’avait aucune chance. Cependant, Claude Nobs insista, arguant qu’il avait fait le voyage depuis la Suisse. L’argument fonctionna puisque Neshui Ertegun accepta de le recevoir. « Grüezi ! », quelle surprise, l’Américain d’origine turque salua en suisse allemand un Claude Nobs perplexe. En effet, Nesuhi Ertegun était le fils d’un ambassadeur turc et sa famille avait vécu plusieurs années dans la capitale suisse. A l’idée de créer un festival de jazz à Montreux, Ertegun se montra très enthousiaste et assura Claude Nobs de son soutien. Ce moment décisif dans l’histoire du festival marquait également le début d’une grande amitié.

En 1967, la première édition du Montreux Jazz Festival fut organisée avec un modeste budget de tout juste 10'000 francs et des artistes tels que Charles Lloyd ou Keith Jarrett. Les concerts étant enregistrés, la couverture médiatique fut importante. Le Festival remporta un grand succès. En parallèle, Claude Nobs continua d’organiser des concerts pour la Rose d’Or et d’autres événements à Montreux. A l’occasion de la cérémonie télévisée de remise des prix de 1968, il fit même venir de Londres la comédie musicale « Hair », incluant les décors, acteurs et techniciens. La même année, Bill Evans enregistra pendant le festival son album live qui reçut un Grammy et sur la couverture duquel figurait le Château de Chillon. L’année suivante, Claude Nobs engagea pour la première fois un groupe de rock, « Ten years after ». Cette ouverture musicale suscita instantanément l’ire des puristes. Lors de cette édition 1969, Eddie Harris et Les McCann apportèrent pour ainsi dire une contribution musicale au débat avec « Compared To What ». Cet enregistrement live, terminé en seulement six mois et intitulé « Swiss Movements », fut l’album de jazz qui connut le plus grand succès commercial. Rapidement, Claude Nobs se mit à organiser chaque mois des concerts avec des artistes tels que Pink Floyd, Chicago ou Santana faisant ainsi de Montreux un haut lieu de la musique pop. En 1971, durant le concert de Frank Zappa, un fan survolté alluma un feu d’artifice qui mit le feu au toit du Casino. Les spectateurs et les employés des cuisines du sous-sol purent être évacués de justesse. Le Casino de Montreux, par contre, fut réduit en cendres et s’évapora dans un nuage noir s’étendant lentement sur le lac. Quelques membres de Deep Purple, qui souhaitaient enregistrer leur nouvel album à Montreux, faisaient partie des spectateurs. Le studio ayant également été victime des flammes, les rockers prirent leurs quartiers dans le Grand Hôtel de Territet. Inspirés par l’événement spectaculaire qu’ils venaient de vivre, ils composèrent « Smoke on the Water », morceau dépeignant l’incendie dévastateur et « funky Claude » en pleine opération de sauvetage. Un an plus tard, le morceau qui se hissa dans les hits parades du monde entier, devint LE grand succès du rock.

En 1973, Claude Nobs fut nommé directeur de la section suisse de WEA, regroupant les labels Warner, Elektra et Atlantic. La même année, il fit la connaissance de Miles Davis au Newport Jazz Festival et l’invita à Montreux. Au milieu des années 70, la diversité musicale demeurant la bête noire de beaucoup de puristes, Claude Nobs décida de renommer le Festival, « Montreux International Festival ». Mais le public continua à le désigner sous l’appellation « Montreux Jazz », le terme jazz figura donc à nouveau sur l’affiche de 1978. Grand amateur de musique latino- américaine, Claude Nobs débuta une collaboration avec le Festival de Sao Paulo qui, grâce entre autres à Gilberto Gil, amena la Bossa Nova et la Samba à Montreux. La musique brésilienne se fit sa place au sein du Festival, qui devint rapidement une référence dans sa lointaine patrie. S’ensuivirent d’innombrables collaborations avec des Festivals internationaux tels qu’Atlanta, Détroit, Tokyo ou encore Monaco. En 1982, l’affiche du Montreux Jazz Festival fut créée par l’artiste suisse Jean Tinguely, qui le dota ainsi par la même occasion de son logo. A sa suite, de nombreux artistes renommés concevront les affiches de la manifestation : Keith Haring, Andy Warhol, Niki de Saint-Phalle, Toni Ungerer, Julien Opie, John Armleder ou encore David Bowie et Phil Collins.

A la fin des années 80, Claude Nobs rencontra le jeune Français Thierry Amsallem, tous deux tombèrent amoureux et officialisèrent leur union vingt ans plus tard. Thierry Amsallem dirige actuellement l’entreprise Montreux Sounds qui gère les archives du festival et qui, à travers un projet de digitalisation initié en 2008, a pour objectif de mettre l’intégralité de ces archives à la disposition des générations futures. En 1991, deux événements importants ont marqué l’histoire du festival : la coproduction avec Quincy Jones et les premiers enregistrements de concerts en haute définition, vingt ans avant que le format digital ne soit rendu accessible à tous. D’un point de vue technologique le Festival a ainsi souvent fait figure de pionnier. En 2010, des concerts y ont même été filmés pour la première fois en 3D.

Dans le courant des années 90, la manifestation devint de plus en plus populaire et battit, en 1999, tous les records de fréquentation avec plus de 220'000 visiteurs. La même année, Claude Nobs développa l’engagement pédagogique du Festival en fondant le Concours de piano solo, rapidement reconnu au niveau international. Aujourd’hui, la « Fondation Montreux Jazz 2 » perpétue cet esprit en organisant des ateliers et des concours de musique, pour promouvoir l’échange culturel entre les artistes et le public et encourager les jeunes talents dans les premières étapes de leurs carrières musicales. Après que le festival eut déménagé dans le nouveau Centre des Congrès en 1993, des concerts furent à nouveau programmés au Casino entre 2001 et 2006. A l’occasion des 40 ans du festival, Claude Nobs organisa deux concerts en hommage aux frères Ertegun.

Durant sa carrière, Claude Nobs a reçu d’innombrables prix et distinctions, parmi lesquels l’ « European Hero » du Time Magazine en 2004 et le titre académique de Docteur Honoris Causa décerné par l’Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne en 2006. Il a également été le premier Européen à obtenir le « Downbeat Lifetime Award » pour sa contribution au développement et à la reconnaissance du jazz. En 2007, il a reçu l’Ordre français de « Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres ». Depuis qu’il s’est retiré des affaires courantes de la Warner suisse en 2001, il s’est consacré uniquement au Festival. En 2010, il en a délégué la direction opérationnelle et s’occupe désormais, depuis son chalet du Picotin, des projets et concerts spéciaux qui lui tiennent particulièrement à cœur. Durant son temps libre, il aime profiter de la nature en compagnie de ses bouviers bernois et cuisiner pour ses musiciens et amis. Ainsi, il est toujours parvenu avec beaucoup d’aisance à associer les liens profonds qu’il entretient avec sa région natale à sa soif d’activités et à un réseau international. Rien d’étonnant donc à ce que son sens de l’accueil soit reconnu loin à la ronde.

Cet esprit demeure au cœur du Festival, malgré le décès le 10 janvier 2013 de Claude Nobs, dans sa 77ème année. Comme il le souhaitait, l’aventure continue !

A fin juin 2013, l’UNESCO annonce sa décision d’inscrire les 5000 heures d’archives audiovisuelles du Montreux Jazz Festival au Registre international de la Mémoire du Monde. Thierry Amsallem, compagnon de Claude Nobs depuis 1987 hérite de ces archives et décide de créer une fondation éponyme dont le but est de préserver, développer et mettre en valeur ce patrimoine unique.

Claude We Love You - Badrutt's Palace - Art Masters St Moritz 2013

Claude We Love You - Badrutt's Palace - Art Masters St Moritz 2013